Read Technical Text
Technical text is one kind of informational text.
- Technical text is read for the purpose of learning more about a subject or understanding how to complete a task.
- Technical texts are often accompanied by charts, diagrams, illustrations, and other visual elements that support the text and provide additional information about the subject.
Directions are one type of technical text.
- Common types of directions are user guides, recipes, and how-to texts that help people build ant farms or construct model airplanes.
- Information in directions is often presented as a series of steps in a procedure. These steps may be supported and enhanced by a chart, diagram, illustration, or other visual element.
- A person performs the steps in sequence while looking at the visual element in order to build the ant farm or construct the model airplane.
If the reader understands the relationship between the steps and between the text and the visual element, then he or she is more likely to successfully complete the task.
Click below to see a model of how to understand and explain the relationship between steps in a procedure.